There is a comic book store in Cuba, Missouri that is both fun and delicious! The Little Shop of Comics was established in 2018 by shop owner Jimmy Johnston. Located at 505 NE Main Street, the comic book store has given new life to the neighborhood.
With its own cast of characters, the shop and eatery is a labor of love.
From the moment you step inside, you feel like the fun is inevitable. Hostess and server, Jennifer Brackin greets patrons with her smile, a menu, and her superhero attitude. If you are lucky enough you will meet Johnston’s family, his daughter McKenzie, his sister Kelly, and the family matriarch, Jeanne.
“When I moved out here I realized there wasn’t anywhere to indulge in the type of things I enjoyed. I always wanted to open a comic shop, so I decided to make it happen in my new hometown of Cuba! Comics and games, with space to play, create an environment where anyone can come and have fun.” Johnston went on to say, “Plus, we’ve got great food. What’s not to like?”
Johnston is no stranger to comics and graphic storytelling. Johnston, or Jimmy Z, wrote a four-issue run of the New England Comics The Tick ™ with Cullen Bunn back in 2017. In other collaborations, Johnston and Bunn co-authored IDW Publishing’s Micronauts ™ and Full Moon Entertainment’s Action Lab Subspecies ™ series.
For a full list of works, visit Jimmy Z. Johnston.
Unlike any shop in town, the comic book store offers comic accessories, collectibles, POP toys, t-shirts, books, a restaurant, and a gathering place to play. Once you visit, you’ll come back for more, here’s why:
- Comics – Also referred to as sequential art, comic books are more than just words and illustrations. Every Wednesday new comic books are released. You can count on The Little Shop of Comics to get the latest issues of your favorite comics. They have hundreds of titles in stock and ready for purchase.
- Game Nights – With over 100 games in stock, you can buy one or bring your own for game night. In fact, every night is game night at the comic book shop. Stop by to see what’s on the schedule every week. Game nights include everything from the popular Magic the Gathering ™ to Dungeon and Dragons® and of course, the classics like Chess.
- Play Anytime – Good news, play anytime you want! When the shop is open so are the game tables. Invite friends or plan your next family night out at the comic book shop. Even if you don’t want to play, find a quiet corner and curl up with a comic book.
- Books – For the readers out there, this is your local neighborhood book store. Choose from gently used books, or pick up something from local author, Jackie Adams. There are plenty of book-lined shelves with an array of subject matter.
- Audrey’s Eatery – The magic is in the menu! Johnston’s daughter, McKenzie is the force behind the kitchen. The menu is filled with notable characters and pairings that bring together gourmet goodness with villains and superheroes. Every dish on the menu is carefully orchestrated to serve up a double entendre of cuisine and comics. A great example is the Osiris sandwich which gets its name from the DC character Osiris. The eatery is filled with family inspiration, especially the German Potato Salad, which is a family recipe handed down by Johnston’s Great Great Grandmother. The food is downright fun! The folks at FEAST magazine think so too! Check out their article about Audrey’s Eatery here.
Little Shop of Comics is a place for every age group! Even if you don’t read comic books or play D&D, do yourself a favor and pay a visit to the coolest place in town. Find them on Facebook and Twitter @comicsincuba.